joyfulgirlamy

If we are all made in God's image, does that mean God is gender fluid.....

I love my family, I love my friends, I love all kinds of music however I am addicted to my books. I love reading. I love romance. I love angst.

The Return - Brad Boney 3.5 stars

I do like Brad Boney's style of writing and I like this story.
However, I had 3 issues that hurt the rating.

-The discussions between 6 people, in one setting, got so confusing. They also felt to long. I think whatever was to be conveyed could have been done with less flipping back and forth between characters.
-The reincarnation. I can go with the flow with other peoples beliefs however by the end of the book it got a little ridiculous. I see where Brad was going here. That the men who died of AIDS in the 80's got a chance to come back, per se, and live new lives is a beautiful thought. It just didn't sit well with me. Not that I would begrudge anyone if they had the chance to try again. My issue was with the young men who are essentially not individuals but water colored versions of someone else.
-Which brings me to my third issue, which is Stanton and Topher. Topher was essentially a water colored version of Stanton's first love Hutch. Both men, Stanton and Hutch, come to this realization and accept it. However I didn't. There were so many things that were put out there to prove that Topher was Hutch reincarnated that beyond physical appearance they were one and the same. It felt like Topher was Hutch 2.0. I didn't get enough of Topher to say he was a separate individual. Hell Hutch had him repeat 'we are one and the same' (which was just weird) Maybe it is the reincarnation that bothers me here. It's hard to be truly individual when you aren't.
I guess in my purview of the world, I would like to believe that God truly does break the mold with every snowflake and person.
*one side note. I have said this before and I hate to have to say it again but I simply must. Whoever you are, if you are engaging in anal sex you need lube. Even in the fantasies I read there is lube. I am not sure if the lack of lube in some stories is like a turn on or something but wow, yeah, no.

With this being said I did like the book and if nothing else Brad Boney made me think, a lot. I truly enjoyed most of the book and the musical references were just awesome. I am a music person even more so than book person so those parts were lovely treats. I also love love love Austin and again I got to visit one of my very favorite cities without having to pay for airfare. October can not come quick enough - Keep Austin Weird!