joyfulgirlamy

If we are all made in God's image, does that mean God is gender fluid.....

I love my family, I love my friends, I love all kinds of music however I am addicted to my books. I love reading. I love romance. I love angst.

The Pastor's Son - Chris  Ogden The voice of Leo seemed years older than a senior in high school (17), like way older. The internal monologue and description of people, places and things was dry and inconsistent with the MC's train of thought. See below:
"I sit with my parents toward the back of the church. Noah sits in the front as usual, listening to his dad’s every word like a good son. Despite all his father has said to him, he’s still here listening to what his dad has to say. If only his dad was better at listening to his son. Noah’s really exceptional."

The paragraph above is part of the last chapter I read. I stopped reading here because the Pastor's sermon is on temptation. Example:
"He [The Pastor] says other people who have been influenced by the devil will try to tell you things and brainwash you. He[The Pastor]talks about how you have to resist temptation and follow the righteous path. He [The Pastor] even mentions gays and how they have chosen the wrong path and will surely be condemned to Hell. He [The Pastor] says they go around recruiting other people, trying to convince them to follow into sin."

It's not that the pastor said these things that made me stop reading. Trust me when I say I have heard worse from 'men of God' when I was growing up. What stops me here is that Leo, who is gay and out, is in church with his parents, who know Leo is gay and are accepting of him. What I find it hard to believe is that parents who are accepting and loving, like Leo's parents are portrayed, would allow their child to sit through this and not be concerned if not outraged. One, being a parent this feels and looks awfully hypocritical. We love you and accept you at home but when at church just go along with the flow. Secondly, how does a parent think faith is going to grow in a child when he/she is told they are the devil and a perpetrator? I skipped ahead to see if the parents attempted to reconcile their actions with Leo. Nada, nothing.

What did ring true was the actions of the teenagers. Internal monologue "no way am I seeing him again, it hurts too much" to "ok I will meet you". Teenagers are like that, not normal. However, I don't feel as though the author did this on purpose. More that he needed to move the story along, which is sad because it felt just like 17 yr olds in actions, just not spoken words.